What are the natural cures for insomnia?
- Exercise: Daily exercise such as yoga, walking, swimming, taichi or cycling can help promoting your sleep.
- Task organising skills: Before going to bed, write the list of things that you need to do the next day or what concerns you down. This will help putting your active mind at easy.
- Sleep habits:
- Warm bath or shower: Having a warm bath or shower before bed may help promoting a good night sleep.
- Taking supplements: Try taking Valerian, Magnesium and Calcium 30 minutes before bed (Click here to buy your supplements). Don’t use Valerian more than 3 continuous weeks. It is recommended to take a week break after 3 weeks of taking Valerian.
- Essential oil treatment: Mix 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 3 drops lavender oil, 3 drops clary sage oil, 2 drops marjoram oil together (Click here to buy the essential oils).
- Massage a few drops on the temples and the back of your neck.
- If you are going to have a warm bath, add 2 teaspoons of mixed oils to the warm bath just before getting in.
- Sprinkle 2 – 3 drops on a wet flannel, squeeze and then rub gently over your body or;
- Add 3 drops of Eco Aroma Dream Drops essential oil (Lavender, Geranium & Ylang Ylang blend
) into your Essential-in-a-box Aroma Diffuser (Buy it here)
- Herbal treatments:
- Make a small herb bag containing crushed Hops and Lavender and slip it into your pillowcase.
- Fill a small muslin bag with fresh or dried chopped lavender and marjoram, hang it under the tap as the bath is running and then use it as a wash cloth.
- Diets: Iron, calcium, vitamin D, protein and magnesium deficiencies may contribute to your insomnia.
- Afternoon Siestas or naps: If your lifestyle allow for an afternoon siesta, try to have a 30-minute-nap everyday. An afternoon nap helps to restore the energy levels, sharpen mental performance and reducing fatigue.
2) Purchon N, 1998, Handbook of natural healing, National Library of Australia, St Leonards, NSW, Australia, pp233 – 234
3) Lavery S, 1997, The healing power of sleep: how to achieve restorative sleep – naturally, Simon & Schuster Australia, East Roseville, NSW, Australia, pp
4) Photo Credit : http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20121111/health-fitness/Beat-insomnia-without-drugs.444927
The information contained in this column is provided for your general information only and is not meant for diagnosis or treatment of any disease or disorder. If you suffer from any disorders or have any symptoms, please consult with your qualified practitioner before changing your diet or taking any supplements.