Natural Remedies for Candida Overgrowth
- Antibiotics, immunosuppressive drugs, steroids and cigarettes.
- All sugars including white sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, FOS, fructose, rice syrup and corn syrup.
- Sugary foods such as chocolate, candies, cakes, preserved fruits, jellies, jams, prickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, sauces, condiments, mayonnaise, breakfast cereals, ice-cream, processed foods, fruits or fruit juices.
- Yeasty and fermented foods such as bread, soy sauce, cider, ginger ale, vegemite, miso, tempeh, vinegar, except the lactobacillus fermentation (kefir, kumiss, or kombucha).
- Sugary drinks, alcoholic beverage of any kind including beer, champagne, cordials or sport drinks.
- Foods that carry moulds including nuts, some cheese, dried fruits, Indian and Chinese teas.
- Stimulants including tea, coffee, cola.
- All refined white flour products including breads, pre-made foods with a bread crumb coating, buns, cakes, pastries, crackers, biscuits, noodles and pastas. Choose whole grain products and yeast free bread.
- Foods containing citric acid (usually derived from yeast) including most canned or frozen citrus drinks.
- Multivitamin or multi-mineral supplements unless it is yeast free source. Read labels carefully.
- Foods and products containing MSG (monosodium glutamate).
- Meat or fish that have been cured, smoked, persevered, pickled or processed in any way including ham, frankfurters, salami, luncheon meats and bacon etc.
- Meat, fish and poultry that raised on antibiotics including farmed fish and non organic meats. Choose organic chicken, grass-fed antibiotic free red meats and wild caught fish instead.
- Milk products including milk, cheese, custards, milk curd etc except for 3 cups of “live” sugar free yogurt every day. Yogurt can also be used as a douche to treat thrush.
- Nystatin, an anti-fungal medical drug is yeast-based. Washington University School of Medicine research shows that when nystatin treatment ends, yeast colonies thrive with more active colonies showing up than before the treatment started.
- Avoid wearing tight trousers, jeans, tights or pantyhose.
It is important to avoid these foods and substances for 3 – 4 weeks. After that, you can slowly reintroduce some of these foods back into your diet with some food rotations every four days to alleviate the food sensitivity or allergy symptoms.
- Eat a lot of vegetables, whole grains, wild caught fish, some organic poultry and grass-fed meats.
- Wear cotton underwear only.
- Have at least 4 – 6 weeks Candida free diet.
- Eat a lot of raw garlic (or take Herb Valley Odourless Garlic), 1 tablespoon of raw organic coconut oil, pumpkin seeds, lemon juice, raw onions, fresh ginger, cayenne pepper.
To combat candida overgrowth, first you must give your body an optimum nutrition and second, you must get the candida in control. A few supplements and herbals listed below might be helpful to control the candida:
- Taking between 5 – 15 g of essential free-form amino acids (Buy Pretorius Amino Acid Complex) with a glass of water at least 30 minutes before or 90 minutes after meals. Add a proteolytic (protein-digesting) enzyme, bromelain (from pineapple) and papain (from papaya) (Buy Genuine N Zimes) to aid the digestion of proteins. This is due to those suffering candida overgrowth often have inadequate digestive function hence the protein requirements are not being met.
- Biotin: It is best to take a B-complex supplement (Buy Grants B Complex Liquid) contains 500 mcg Biotin daily with food until you experience optimal health.
- Caprylic (hexanoic) acid: This coconut derivative is a great antifungal. Read labels for recommended amounts.
- Grapefruit seed extract: Alternative to caprylic acid.
- Garlic: Unless you eat a lot of RAW garlic, it is recommended to take odour- free garlic supplements (Herb Valley Odourless Garlic) 1000mg garlic capsules 1 – 2 capsules 3 times daily with meals or 2 – 3 teaspoons “Long-life juice” 3 times daily.
- Olive oil (Buy Organic Cold Pressed Olive Oil): is an active antifungal which contains linoleic acid. Take 1 tablespoon first thing in the morning or drizzle it on your salad or soup etc.
- Germanium: has powerful antifungal properties and enhances oxygenation which increases energy. Take 100 – 300 milligrams daily.
- Aloe Vera juice (Buy Nature’s Sunshine Aloe Vera Juice): is an excellent antifungal. Several tablespoons in water daily is recommended.
- Echinacea (Buy Herbs of Gold Echinacea 2000+): Take ½ teaspoon fluid extract of Echinacea 3 times daily.
- Multivitamin (Buy Floradix Epresat MultiVitamin Tonic): Take multivitamin daily.
- Zinc (Buy Herbs of Gold Ultra Zinc+): Take 30 mg zinc daily (If take multivitamin, reduce the dosage to max 30 mg Zinc daily)
- Hydrochloric acid: If you experience gastrointestinal distress after eating, heart burn or abdominal discomfort, your stomach may not secrete enough hydrochloric acid. You can take hydrochloric acid tablets or capsules, or a tablespoon of Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar Organic before eating.
- Probiotics powder (Buy Rochway Kakadu Plum Probiotic): contains L.Bulgaricus is a powerful detoxifier. Take 1 heaped teaspoon of probiotics powder in a glass of unchilled filtered water before meals to aid protein and carbohydrate digestion. However, if your system is very toxic, L. bulgaricus may cause a rapid die-off of harmful bacteria resulting a physical reaction (Herxheimer reaction) such as headache, gas and bloating. If experience these symptoms, reduce the dosage to 1/8 teaspoon of the powder and gradually increasing the amount over time. Research has shown that L.acidophilus produces a substance that slow the growth of candida. It is recommended to buy a probiotic that contains L. bulgaricus, L. acidophilus and B. bifidum in a powder form.
- Take PPC Candi Plex
- Add 1 teaspoon (5ml) tincture of myrrh to 1 cup (250ml) filtered or distilled water. Mix and use as a douche.
- If the vagina isn’t too sore, you can dip a tampon into natural organic yogurt and insert it into the vagina. Replace every 2 hours. Warning: If you have not used a tampon before, maybe it is best to not used this method as tampon may cause Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS).
- If the vagina is sore and inflamed, dissolve 4 tablespoons bicarbonate soda in 4 litres of warm water in a bowl big enough to sit in. Sit in the bow and hold the vagina open with one hand and “swoosh” the water as far inside it as possible. Stay in the water for about 10 minutes.
Men can transmit thrush even they show no symptoms so it is important to treat both sexual partners.
Please consult a healthcare professional if the treatments show no sign of improvement after 2 – 4 weeks.
Want to know more about Candida Overgrowth, read more here.
- Trenev N, 1998, Probiotics: nature’s internal healers, Avery Publishing Group, USA, NY, pp147-158
- Purchon N, 1998, Nerys Purchon’s handbook of natural healing, Allen & Unwin, Australia, St Leonards, pp89-90
- Photo image credit: http://www.raleysseasons.com/gilroy-garlic-festival/
This article is a general information purpose only and it is not intended to treat nor cure any symptoms or diseases, please consult your health care professionals before taking any supplements or changing your diets.