Do You Have Candida Overgrowth?
What is Candida Overgrowth?
Candida Overgrowth is an infection caused by an overgrowth of the Candida Albicans organisms, a common yeast or fungus that lives in the mouth, throat, digestive tract, genitourinary tract and on the skin since birth. Normally, candida is kept under controlled by the friendly bacteria. They live in a healthy balance with the other bacteria in the body and is harmless to us. However, once the candida is out of control, it changes its form from a yeast to a dangerous pervasive pathogenic fungus and causes significant health problems.
What causes Candida Overgrowth?
Antibiotics are like a double-edged sword. It kills the harmful bacteria but at the same time destroys the friendly bacteria. Without the friendly bacteria, the first line of defence against candida is defeated and the candida is free to multiply.
High sugar diet:
As candida thrives in a sugar environment, a high-sugar diet can infest this organism.
Immune suppressive drugs and other medications:
Steroids, birth control pills, Epstein-Barr virus and herpes weaken the immune system cells and reduce the ability to fight against the candida overgrowth.
Hormonal changes due to menstrual cycle, pregnancy and diabetes.
Synthetic materials create a warm and moist environment which is perfect for candida growth.
Candida overgrowth may cause the following symptoms:
- Constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas and bloating.
- Thrush in the mouth (burning or spotted tongue), soreness of mouth corners, canker sores and bad breath.
- Athlete’s foot, hives, jock itch, fungal nails infection, acne, psoriasis and other chronic skin rashes.
- Swollen membranes of the nose and throat, nagging cough, sore throat, congestion, clogged sinuses and increase of allergic reactions.
- Impaired sex drive, penile infections and prostatitis in men.
- Hormonal imbalances, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), menstrual irregularities, infertility, loss of sexual desire, abdominal pain and vaginitis.
- Fatigue, apathy, loss of energy, headaches, irritability, depression, anxiety, mood swings, and memory relapses.
- Unexplained weakness, aching, swelling in muscles and joints, numbness, burning or tingling in fingers and toes.
- Diaper rash in babies and children.
- Chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis (CMC) can cause skin sores, viral infections, diabetes, Addison’s disease, thyroid deficiency, pernicious anemia and hormonal imbalances which result in low levels of calcium, abnormal liver function, high blood sugar, iron deficiency and abnormal vitamin B12 absorption.
How to diagnose Candida Overgrowth?
Candida Overgrowth may be diagnosed by blood test or stool test however sometimes, the blood test may not pick up the candida in our blood if the immunoresponse is weak due to taking immunosuppressive drugs or chronic immune system deficiency even though candida may be over thriving.
Through his research, Dr C. Orion Truss believes that laboratory testing is not the best method to diagnose candidiasis. However, candida overgrowth can be suspected if you have the aforementioned symptoms and you answer “Yes” to majority of the following questions:
- Do you experience multiple allergic symptoms?
- Do you have an extreme sensitivity to chemical fumes, perfumes, or tobacco smoke?
- Do you seem to feel worse than usual (nauseous, achy, bloated, headache, spaced out or irritable) after consuming yeasty or sugary foods or drinks?
- Do you crave sweet foods or alcohols?
- Do you have or did you ever have chronic acne?
- Do you suffer with frequent abdominal bloating, stomach distention, diarrhea, constipation or anal itch?
- Are you generally tired and lethargic?
- Do you have a poor memory?
- Do you find it difficult to concentrate on the task at hand?
- Are you depressed?
- Do you have frequent upper respiratory tract infections such as colds, postnasal drip or nagging coughs?
- Do you have athlete’s foot, or a nail or skin fungus?
- Have you had an oral or vaginal yeast infection more than once?
- Do you have frequently experience PMS accompanied by fluid intention, irritability or mood swings etc?
- Do you generally suffer from menstrual cramps or pain?
- Do you have vaginal discharge, itching and local irritation? Have you ever had vaginitis?
- Do you have recurrent or persistent cystitis, prostatitis or endometriosis?
- Are you experiences impotence or loss of sexual desire?
- Do you have muscle aches for no obvious reason?
- Are you experiencing tingling or numbness in your fingers or toes?
- Do you have swollen or aching joints for no obvious reason?
- Do you have erratic vision or spots before your eyes?
- Have you ever taken an antibiotics course for eight weights or longer? Or more than three shorter antibiotics courses within a year?
- Have you ever taken antibiotic treatment for acne for a month or longer?
- Have you ever taken steroids such as cortisone, prednisone or ACTH?
- Have you used birth control pills for a year or more?
- Have you had more than one pregnancy?
- Do you eat a high-sugar diet?
- Have you ever been treated with immunosuppressive drugs?
- Have you ever had a chronic multiple infection including viral, bacterial or parasitic, AIDS or ARC (AIDS related complex)
How to treat Candida Overgrowth naturally, read more here.
This article is a general information purpose only and it is not intended to treat nor cure any symptoms or diseases, please consult your health care professionals before taking any supplements or changing your diets.