In the last 5 years, I have seen so many doctors and this is the list of questions that I always carry with me whenever I see a doctor. It helps me getting better treatments and sometimes, challenge my doctor to find better alternative treatments for me.
Try to get a lot of information from your doctor about your health conditions, medicines, the dos and don’ts as much as you can. Never take medications without knowing their side effects and how to take them.
40 Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- What is likely causing my symptoms or conditions?
- Other than the most likely cause, what are other possible causes for my symptoms or conditions?
- What kinds of tests do I need?
- Is my condition likely temporary or chronic?
- What is the best course of action?
- What are the alternatives to the primary approach that you’re suggesting?
- I have other health conditions. How can I best manage them together?
- Are there any restrictions that I need to follow?
- Should I see a specialist?
- Is there a generic alternative to the medicine you’re prescribing me?
- Are there brochures or other printed material that I can take with me? What websites do you recommend?
- What will determine whether I should plan for a follow-up visit?
- What would you do if you were me?
- What are the chances my children or other family members can inherit this disease?
- How do I decide which medications are most helpful for my condition and how do they work?
- What should I do if I forget to take my medications?
- When should I take my medication?
- Can I my medicine with tea, alcohol or soft drinks?
- Can I take my medicine at the same time with supplements or other medicines?
- What are the major warning signs that I should watch out for?
- What side effects are most common with the medicines I am taking and how are the side effects managed if they occur?
- How can stress and irregular sleep patterns effect my illness?
- What are the risks and benefits of taking this medication?
- Will I need blood tests or blood pressure reading to monitor my medicines and if so, how often?
- What are the risks of any alcohol use or drugs for my condition and what effects would they have on my medicines?
- Is there a medical or physical cause for my illness?
- What are the pros and cons of treating my health condition with medicine or psychotherapy?
- What are the side effects and long-term effects of the medication?
- How long will it take for the treatment to work?
- If I am sexually active, is it safe to become pregnant while taking the prescribed medicine?
- What can be done to prevent my illness from recurring?
- What are the dangers of having my health issues? Can other problems develop?
- What could have caused my health issues? Is it inherited?
- Are there things I can do at home or in my life to improve my health condition?
- Is medicine necessary? Are there alternative treatments?
- If medicine is needed, how does the medicine work?
- How long can I take medicine? What are the side effects? Is long-term use harmful?
- Where can I learn more about how to live with my health condition?
- What changes to my diet should I make to improve my health condition?
- Are there any support groups for my illness that I can contact?